Thursday, April 22, 2010

Rooftop Sakura


I first noticed this tree last summer when riding home from the farm. I looked up and was astonished to see a massive tree on top of the building. Last week I was even more astonished to glance up from planting and see it in its blooming glory. When I mentioned it to Shee-chan she too, marveled at it, and later told me its story.

Apparently, the tree once lived near an old house across the street from the farm. The property was sold for development and the land was being cleared to make way for the ten story apartment building that now stands there. The old woman who lived in the old house, though, could not bear to cut down the tree. So, it was transplanted (perhaps by a child of hers) to its current location to live out its days in new penthouse digs.

No comments:

Post a Comment